Monday 11 January 2016

MA1506 Mathematics 2

Taken in SEM 1 AY14/15

Module Overview:
This module continues on from MA1505 and focuses mainly on differential equations. There’s also a chapter on matrices.

Review:
Also a lot of new content, but I feel it’s easier than MA1505. In the case you really, really can’t understand the theory behind the concepts, just apply the formula. It’ll get you through. Again, practice makes perfect. The questions tend to be the same thing so get familiar with them. And don’t feel discouraged when you do the tutorials because the questions they ask in tests and exams are rather different so focus more on the papers than the tutorials. I would still advise to go for tutorials though. My tutor did summaries before every lesson which did help. The lecturer was Brett McCinnes and he was great although his teaching style might not appeal to all as he teaches like he’s telling a story. But it helped me remember the content better and chances of falling asleep is smaller. He tends to rush sometimes though so some self-study might be required, but he’s very approachable if you have any questions. I came to a point where I gave up on tutorials, but even if you do attempt them, workload is light. And this module is even more score-able than MA1505 to me, but typically if you take this in semester 2 you’re competing with the same cohort so your grade would tend to be the same.

Webcast: Available
Textbook: None

Grading:
Grading is also the same as MA1505, only midterms was solely based on Chapter 1 – Ordinary Differential Equations. So learn that well!! Everything is tested for finals. Both midterms and finals allows a 2-sided A4 cheatsheet.

Expected Grade: A
Final Grade: A-



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I know this is random but are you still keeping your cheat sheet? I am taking my final paper in a week time and I am looking for cheat sheet reference. Thank you ;)

    Bernice

    ReplyDelete