Friday 8 January 2016

GEM1036 / GEH1001 Globalisation and New Media

Taken in SEM 1 AY15/16

Professor: Gui Kai Chong
Module overview: 
Simply globalisation and new media, in relation to topics like culture, creative industries, digital economy, change, environment

Review:
Very much like GP, hence not much studying to do for finals. Concepts were not difficult.

Workload was quite a lot for a level 1000 mod - there were about 20 page readings every week. Some weeks had two. Some readings were pretty dry but most were quite insightful if you persevered through them!

Class participation: Do not need to fear if you're not really the kind who likes class participation. The teacher is quite kind and generally gives everyone a chance to speak.

Good to be very detailed with the powerpoint assignment.

Finals was 2 hours - had more than enough time. Tested 5MCQs on the readings, 10 marks on short answered question (that were very closely related to readings) and 1 essay question. Essay question was on networks. A lot of people finished quite fast and left early.

Webcast: None
Textbook: None

Grading:
Class participation + Forum: 25%
Essay assignment: 30%
Powerpoint assignment: 15%
Finals: 30%


Expected Grade: A/A-
Final Grade: B+
Did well for all the components before finals (got a 14/15 & 27/30 for each assignment + did the forum 20 times) hence felt there was a chance for getting A, however was pretty disappointed that I did not.

15 comments:

  1. Hi I need help in deciding to take what gem mod and gem1036 cam across was hoping if you would share your lecture notes and tutorial notes to my email:mich.ang.xp@gmail.com. Thanks in advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, yep sent! Hope the lecture notes are useful in helping you make your decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! May I have a look at your lecture notes/tutorials so I can decide if this is for me? Thanks for you help! sparkzylingq@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I need help in deciding to take what gem mod to take and this GEM1036 seemed interesting. But I am not sure if I am able to do well, I was hoping if you would share your lecture notes and tutorial notes to my email: jamesnyc750@gmail.com . Thanks in advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks a lot for taking the time to do up this very useful review. I'm very worried about the bell curve though. Would appreciate if you share your lecture and tutorial notes with me via email (halogenrepublic@gmail.com).
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for the review and I was wondering if you can share the lecture and tutorial notes with me at hsiehhanen@gmail.com :) Thank you very much and I appreciate your effort. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thank you for the review, it certainly is helpful! Would it be convenient for you to share your lecture and tutorial notes with me at darkchild1996@hotmail.com? thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Would it be possible to share your lecture and tutorial notes with me?
    Would really appreciate it.
    My email is: red0204@hotmail.com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Freshmen here :) Your review was concise and really helpful! I was wondering if you can share your lecture and tutorial notes with me? Thank you so much!
    My email is: jj_djuice@yahoo.com.sg

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Freshie here too! Do you mind sharing your lecture and tutorial notes with me? Thank you!
    My email is: ivykeh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Do u mind sharing your notes with me? My email is e0202883@u.nus.edu thank you!’

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, really appreciate how you took the time to write a detailed and very useful review! I am keen in bidding for this module in the coming sem, would it be possible to share with me your course materials? My email is jenny.khewww@gmail.com . Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I am a freshman here and currently deciding on whether I should take GEM1036. Would appreciate it if you could share your notes with me? Thank you so much in advance!

    email: e0319198@u.nus.edu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! Thanks for the review of GEH1001. I'm taking that module this sem and was wondering if you could share your notes with me please? My email is rileypoole@outlook.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Thank you for the awesome review. I am an undergraduate and I plan to take this module. Please share your notes with me so that I can have a glimpse of what to expect in the module:) Many thanks in advanced. my email is harleywink7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete